AUTHOR: multiculturalmama TITLE: A Break from the Garage--Bento Boxes DATE: 6/25/2008 10:51:00 PM ----- BODY: I spent hours in the garage and made some headway so it's time to take a break and indulge in my new favorite pastime: Bentos. Thanks to the influences of bloggers extrodinaire, CityMama and Biggie, I've become obsessed with Bentos. Living in Chicago, a major metropolitan city, one would think that bento supplies such those posted on Biggie's Site and Flickr would come easy. On the contrary, it's been a treasure hunt and I haven't found the likes of the Stitch Bento Box just yet! Honestly, I don't think I'll find it out here in the Midwest.
What I have found is that some of the best kept secrets are just outside my backyard. Mitsuwa in Arlington Heights, about 15 miles Northwest of the city has the basic Asvel boxes which I really like. I've picked up a few extra and and have them on Petit-Tableau, my ecrater site. I have seen a variety of price ranges and paid much more than I would have expected for a simple box, but the Asvil has a nice seal, is microwave and dishwasher safe and they'll probably last longer than the more inexpensive ones.

Down the street from Mitsuwa in Niles (see last post) is H Mart. I found the cutest bento set for Mister and we've been using it for trips out and about. With his peanut allergy, I tend to be cautious about eating food at street fairs and even at other people's houses. The risk of cross contamination at his age (16 months) is too high so we just pack our diaper bag with a little extra something so he can join in the fun.

At Chicago Food Company's store just up the road from us, I found some great Lock & Lock containers for my husband. At 800 ML with dividers, they are the perfect size for his lunches.
Bubs favorite is his Clickety Click Mink Monkey box which is really adorable.

And of course the accessories; sauce containers, mayo/condiment cups, picks. They all now have a place in my kitchen cabinet. Note the Avsel bento box on top.

I will start adding photos of actual lunches made in these boxes, after all, isn't that what they are for?

Labels: ,

-------- AUTHOR: multiculturalmama TITLE: A Break from the Garage--Bento Boxes DATE: 6/25/2008 10:51:00 PM ----- BODY: I spent hours in the garage and made some headway so it's time to take a break and indulge in my new favorite pastime: Bentos. Thanks to the influences of bloggers extrodinaire, CityMama and Biggie, I've become obsessed with Bentos. Living in Chicago, a major metropolitan city, one would think that bento supplies such those posted on Biggie's Site and Flickr would come easy. On the contrary, it's been a treasure hunt and I haven't found the likes of the Stitch Bento Box just yet! Honestly, I don't think I'll find it out here in the Midwest.
What I have found is that some of the best kept secrets are just outside my backyard. Mitsuwa in Arlington Heights, about 15 miles Northwest of the city has the basic Asvel boxes which I really like. I've picked up a few extra and and have them on Petit-Tableau, my ecrater site. I have seen a variety of price ranges and paid much more than I would have expected for a simple box, but the Asvil has a nice seal, is microwave and dishwasher safe and they'll probably last longer than the more inexpensive ones.

Down the street from Mitsuwa in Niles (see last post) is H Mart. I found the cutest bento set for Mister and we've been using it for trips out and about. With his peanut allergy, I tend to be cautious about eating food at street fairs and even at other people's houses. The risk of cross contamination at his age (16 months) is too high so we just pack our diaper bag with a little extra something so he can join in the fun.

At Chicago Food Company's store just up the road from us, I found some great Lock & Lock containers for my husband. At 800 ML with dividers, they are the perfect size for his lunches.
Bubs favorite is his Clickety Click Mink Monkey box which is really adorable.

And of course the accessories; sauce containers, mayo/condiment cups, picks. They all now have a place in my kitchen cabinet. Note the Avsel bento box on top.

I will start adding photos of actual lunches made in these boxes, after all, isn't that what they are for?

Labels: ,

----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger bokumbop DATE:9/26/2008 09:12:00 PM MM - where did you find the various accessories, egg molds, sauce bottles, etc.? Did you find musubi molds, too? I really can't find much at Mitsuwa. ----- --------