AUTHOR: multiculturalmama TITLE: The Mommy Hood DATE: 5/15/2008 12:53:00 PM ----- BODY: I've been feeling a little disconnected these days. It probably doesn't help that my little guy, "Mister," has been teething so it's like having a newborn, except you don't want to be feeding a 14 month old in the middle of the night to get him to sleep. I'm also feeling a little self-conscious these days, maybe because I have two gorgeous children who are a cultural mix and I feel like I haven't been providing them with any cultural education. This resonates even louder these days with my older son "Bubs" starting preschool this fall and my 20th high school reunion in SF which I'm chairing. Too much in my head I guess. It's ironic actually, the more I think about it. I grew up in a very Irish Catholic Sunset District in San Francisco so I suppose I should be used to not looking like the other kids on the block. Unbeknownst to a lot of people, it really wasn't until the late 70's, early 80's that a large wave of immigration turned San Francisco into the cultural melting pot it is today. By the time I was in Jr. High, the demographics had quickly begun to change and looking back at my high school yearbook, the diversity is really evident. I'm sure the Class of 2008's photos are just varied--sans the permed and feathered hair of course! Recently, I found a number of blogs that chronicle the lives of moms living in the Bay Area that are of Asian heritage. I haven't lived in SF in 12 years but realize there are certain nuances that I miss terribly as a mom and now am starting to seek out here in the Windy City. I was inspired by those blogs, CityMama and Lunchinabox so I made a trip to the large Korean supermarket down the street and was both amused and tickled that the first language I heard when I walked in the store was Spanish being spoken by the warehouse men, unloaded crates of produce. Definitely not what I expected, but comforting because that would have been very common to hear in California. I walked out $50 lighter in the wallet after having purchased some food items and a couple of Bento Boxes for Bubs. Sticker shock on those as I understand you can get them in the Bay Area for about $2.00. Oh well! I will definitely have to scout them out when I am in SF in the fall. We do have a large Japanese grocery store out in the suburbs but with the construction on the highway (traffic is backed up from 6AM to 8PM EVERYDAY!!!) and gas prices, it might as well be in Iowa.

Labels:

-------- AUTHOR: multiculturalmama TITLE: The Mommy Hood DATE: 5/15/2008 12:53:00 PM ----- BODY: I've been feeling a little disconnected these days. It probably doesn't help that my little guy, "Mister," has been teething so it's like having a newborn, except you don't want to be feeding a 14 month old in the middle of the night to get him to sleep. I'm also feeling a little self-conscious these days, maybe because I have two gorgeous children who are a cultural mix and I feel like I haven't been providing them with any cultural education. This resonates even louder these days with my older son "Bubs" starting preschool this fall and my 20th high school reunion in SF which I'm chairing. Too much in my head I guess. It's ironic actually, the more I think about it. I grew up in a very Irish Catholic Sunset District in San Francisco so I suppose I should be used to not looking like the other kids on the block. Unbeknownst to a lot of people, it really wasn't until the late 70's, early 80's that a large wave of immigration turned San Francisco into the cultural melting pot it is today. By the time I was in Jr. High, the demographics had quickly begun to change and looking back at my high school yearbook, the diversity is really evident. I'm sure the Class of 2008's photos are just varied--sans the permed and feathered hair of course! Recently, I found a number of blogs that chronicle the lives of moms living in the Bay Area that are of Asian heritage. I haven't lived in SF in 12 years but realize there are certain nuances that I miss terribly as a mom and now am starting to seek out here in the Windy City. I was inspired by those blogs, CityMama and Lunchinabox so I made a trip to the large Korean supermarket down the street and was both amused and tickled that the first language I heard when I walked in the store was Spanish being spoken by the warehouse men, unloaded crates of produce. Definitely not what I expected, but comforting because that would have been very common to hear in California. I walked out $50 lighter in the wallet after having purchased some food items and a couple of Bento Boxes for Bubs. Sticker shock on those as I understand you can get them in the Bay Area for about $2.00. Oh well! I will definitely have to scout them out when I am in SF in the fall. We do have a large Japanese grocery store out in the suburbs but with the construction on the highway (traffic is backed up from 6AM to 8PM EVERYDAY!!!) and gas prices, it might as well be in Iowa.

Labels:

----- --------