AUTHOR: MM TITLE: Friday Ponder DATE: 7/18/2008 04:36:00 PM ----- BODY: So, I realized in answering a comment that I do sometimes feel like I'm raising my kids similarly to how my parents raised me (eeek!--all you mamas hearing your mama's voice know what I mean) in a somewhat segregated area. We are diverse here in our Chicago neighborhood, yet at the same time, as most Chicagoans know, the lines are drawn in the sand and those of us in multi-race/cultural marriages find what is most comfortable for us and settle in those areas. I grew up in Irish-Catholic SF in what had been a predominately Jewish neighborhood when it was first established. But, my parents had the support of family, other "Hapa" or "Mestizo" friends who they'd known since they were kids in pre/post WWII Hong Kong. I find it ironic that I'm feeling the need to meet other parents of similar mixed marriage for that support because several people in my family gave me nothing but grief for being a "Banana"--yellow on the outside, white on the inside and marrying someone caucasian. (note CAUCASIAN) I'm sure there is some Latin history behind the word which I'm not looking up right now! Any thoughts? Happy weekend everyone!

Labels: , ,

-------- AUTHOR: MM TITLE: Friday Ponder DATE: 7/18/2008 04:36:00 PM ----- BODY: So, I realized in answering a comment that I do sometimes feel like I'm raising my kids similarly to how my parents raised me (eeek!--all you mamas hearing your mama's voice know what I mean) in a somewhat segregated area. We are diverse here in our Chicago neighborhood, yet at the same time, as most Chicagoans know, the lines are drawn in the sand and those of us in multi-race/cultural marriages find what is most comfortable for us and settle in those areas. I grew up in Irish-Catholic SF in what had been a predominately Jewish neighborhood when it was first established. But, my parents had the support of family, other "Hapa" or "Mestizo" friends who they'd known since they were kids in pre/post WWII Hong Kong. I find it ironic that I'm feeling the need to meet other parents of similar mixed marriage for that support because several people in my family gave me nothing but grief for being a "Banana"--yellow on the outside, white on the inside and marrying someone caucasian. (note CAUCASIAN) I'm sure there is some Latin history behind the word which I'm not looking up right now! Any thoughts? Happy weekend everyone!

Labels: , ,

----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger blackbelt_oma DATE:7/19/2008 12:52:00 PM I'm a Korean immigrant - came at 6 yo. DH is PA Dutch heritage too. I like being around others of different ethnicities and marriages because I feel I have an immediate affinity with them. Now, they don't always pan out to be our best friends, but it's a good starting point. My world doesn't ASSUME a white bread culture, as if being middle American is the norm, or normal. MY normal is something else, and I like meeting people whose normal is something else, too. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger MM DATE:7/20/2008 01:08:00 PM Another PA Dutch/Asian couple--nice to hear from you! I as well like a mix of people, probably because all my parents friends were products of mixed marriages.
My challenge is finding those whose normal is something else. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger Marz DATE:7/27/2008 12:16:00 AM I totally know that feeling of white on the inside- altho my family is/has always been very accepting and non-labeling, but both my hubby & I relate on not being exactly Mexican or Korean (me being one, he the other) and how we don't speak the languages, etc etc. It's like he and I found common ground in being the different ones in our families. :)
Nice blog, btw! ----- --------